Highlights of leadership in healthcare
Cleveland Clinic is the No. 2 hospital in the United States (U.S.News & World Report, 2020-21).
We are #1 in the nation in Heart Surgery and Cardiology (U.S.News & World Report, 2020-21).
Cleveland Clinic Children’s is ranked in 10 of 10 specialties by U.S.News & World Report, 2020-21.
We treat more and sicker patients than almost any other medical center in America (CMS case-mix index).
We are home to the world’s largest heart valve program and vascular surgery program; Ohio’s largest cancer practice; and the world’s largest and most specialized urology practice.
We are Ohio’s largest private employer and the largest generator of economic activity in the state at $ 17.8 billion a year.
In 2009, President Barack Obama singled out the Cleveland Clinic as a national model of quality and efficiency of care. “They’ve set up a system where patient care is the No. 1 concern, not bureaucracy,” he said. “Those are changes that I think the American people want to see.”
|Among our long list of achievements, we were the first in the world to:
- Perform a coronary artery bypass
- Perform a laryngectomy
- Create a dosimeter to measure exposure to radiation
- Develop a successful experimental artificial heart
- Identify and test for carpal tunnel syndrome
- Create a hospital artificial organs program
- Perform minimally invasive aortic valve surgery
- Perform the first successful larynx transplant
- Perform the first nearly full face transplant
- First liver transplant planned using 3D model
- Discovery of microflora link to cardiovascular disease and development of laboratory assay for risk.
|Our many medical breakthroughs include:
- Pioneering neurosurgery techniques
- Pioneering gastroendoscopy
- Early hypertension research
- Isolation and naming of serotonin
- Pioneering stopped-heart surgery
- Development of coronary angiography
- Pioneering cadaver kidney transplant series
- Development of extracorporeal surgery
- Early heart transplant experience
- Development of innovative annuloplasty device
- Identification of the gene for Cowden syndrome
- Leadership of key multi-center clinical trials of cholesterol-lowering drugs
- First American trans-catheter valve replacement.
- Pioneering disease diagnosis through breath analysis Advanced endovascular stent graft design allowing expanded use of minimally invasive alternative to surgery for aortic aneurysms (2009)
- Development of apps to provide portable and objective assessment of concussion and multiple sclerosis (2013)
- Creation of a web-based tool to assess individual risk for heritable and genetic disease (2013)